Mt Maria College Petrie is a small Catholic Co-educational secondary school with an enrolment of just 280 students. Our curriculum is suitable for students of all abilities. In years 8 to 10 a broad academic curriculum is offered and in Years 11 and 12, students choose from a variety of educational pathways, leading to the Queensland Certificate of Education (QCE), tertiary study, a trade, or employment.
Mt Maria College Petrie also supports a limited number of students with specific learning needs to pursue pathways leading to the Queensland Certificate of Individual Achievement (QCIA).
Mt Maria College Petrie is committed to the provision of high quality, affordable Catholic Education. Operating within an atmosphere of acceptance and celebration of diversity, the College is one of a community of schools administered by Brisbane Catholic Education. It shares in the Archdiocese's vision for Catholic education to teach, challenge and to transform.
Mt Maria College Petrie Structure
* Small school
* Small classes
* Leadership opportunities from Year 9 level
* Vertical pastoral form groups
* Peer support available
* Small nurturing environment promoting confidence and self- esteem
Mt Maria College Petrie Programs
* Intensive reading and writing programs
* Real life and project style learning
* Intensive mathematics support programs
* Work education and work experience from Year 10
* Opportunities to undertake TAFE courses
* Broad range of subjects
* Flexible curriculum in response to student interests, needs and abilities
* Individualised learning pathways to cater to specific needs of students
* Participation in Westpac Australasian Mathematics Competition, English Competition, Stock Exchange game
Mt Maria College Petrie Resources and Facilities
* One to one laptop program to enhance student's electronic learning
* New modern science facility
* New music/visual arts centre
* Specialist teaching areas including wood and metal workshops, food technology/textiles centre.
* Sporting facilities including netball/basketball/volleyball courts cricket facilities, football/soccer field, athletics track, archery, gymnastics and others
* Coming in 2014 - a brand new modern learning enhancement/vocational education centre, Year 7 facilities and a new modern hospitality centre.
Mt Maria College Petrie has a whole school approach to career education. In year 8 students research their future in Year 9 we build on to this information, in Year 10 all students undertake either Certificate 1 in Work education or Certificate 1 in Work Readiness and our seniors undertake Certificate 11 in Workplace practices.
In 2008 the Mt Maria College Petrie became an RTO for Certificate 1 in Work Education, Certificate 11 in Workplace Practices and Certificate 1 in Work Readiness. This has been very beneficial to over 80 students in Years 10, 11 and 12 who have gained one of these certificates and now have 2 or 4 points banked in their learning accounts to contribute towards their Queensland Certificate of Education. In recent years, our Year 10, 11 and 12 students have been involved in:
* Certificate 11 in Horticulture
* Certificate 111 in Information Technology
* Certificate 11 in General Construction
* Certificate 11 in Retail
* Certificate 1 and 11 in Hospitality Operations
* Certificate 111 in Health Services Assistance
* Certificate 111 in Computer Aided Drafting
* Certificate 11 in Automotive
* Certificate 11 in Engineering
* Certificate 11 in Information Technology
* Certificate 11 in Screen
* Certificate 11 in Community Recreation
Mt Maria College Petrie is very excited to welcome our first cohort of Year 7s to the College in 2015. The College Leadership Team is currently planning ahead for the practical and academic needs of these young people.