Box Hill Senior Secondary College is a co-educational Senior Secondary College that offers a broad range of VCE, VCAL, VETiS and Sports Specialist Academy programs that cater for local and international students alike.
The College values being able to offer a diverse range of learning programs that challenge students but provide a supported pathway to post-secondary studies or careers. The school has a range of partnerships with community based organisations, universities and industry groups that allow students to strive to be their very best.
At Box Hill Senior Secondary College we have high expectations for success for all students, supported by personalised Individual Learning Plans, student leadership opportunities and a College wide Advocacy program that allows students and staff to work collaboratively and respectfully to create a positive and engaging learning environment.
As a Senior Secondary College, students are expected to manage the challenges of their individual learning program which has been a hallmark of success over many years. Our College tradition and alumni indicate high levels of success in all walks of life, including business, academia, national and international sport and in a variety of chosen career pathways.
Box Hill Senior Secondary College also offers a vibrant and supportive international student program, with the inclusion of a language school program which is being added in 2021. As an inclusive school, located in a multi-cultural area of Melbourne, we value our cultural diversity and welcome all international students to Box Hill Senior.
Staff are also committed to the delivery of a 21st Century learning program, which incorporates a range of literacy, numeracy and relevant ICT skills and knowledge, so that students leave our College prepared to be successful in their future endeavours.
Box Hill Senior Secondary College’s real strength lies in the vast array of learning programs and activities that are available for all students at the College. Students have the opportunity to choose from a full VCE program, VCAL and VETiS programs, based on the potential student pathways chosen.
Student learning is also supported through a wide range of extra-curricular programs including dedicated work placement and work experience opportunities, camps, international tours, primary school clinics, nationally accredited training qualifications, access to TAFE courses, academic acceleration, specialised and tailored 3 year VCE program (with the potential for pre-University entrance) and other subject excursions and events that we offer.
Some of the significant characteristics of the Box Hill Senior Secondary College curriculum are:
- A Senior School learning program that offers many opportunities for students to fast-track their academic performance
- A wide range of programs including VCE, VCAL, VETiS which incorporate trade apprenticeships, TAFE courses, University and U.S. College options (where applicable)
- One of Australia’s foremost Sport Specialist Academy Programs with elite coaching and associated playing opportunities in Basketball, AFL and AFLW Football, Netball, Tennis and newly added Soccer (2021). All coaches are highly accredited, offering state, national and International level experience to support student learning within each respective sport. They are ably supported by additional national and international guest coaches and playing opportunities that are provided through the involvement in the Academy sports.
- A vibrant and wide ranging Arts and Performing Arts program that includes Art, Music, Media, Fashion, Drama and Theatre Studies.
- A technology and trades program that includes electrical and building pre-apprenticeships, Plumbing, Landscaping and Horticulture VET programs along with Engineering and Product Design. These programs provide a challenging but practical and academically challenging program leading directly into future careers pathways and/or TAFE and University placements.
Box Hill Senior Secondary College is one of the leading schools in Australia for specialist sport academy programs and have a long history in developing elite and highly successful student athletes. Students gaining entry into these elite specialist programs are provided with professional sports coaching, athletic development, potential career pathways and strength and conditioning. As part of these programs, students are also counselled regarding their academic studies, particularly if considering post-secondary U.S. College pathways. The programs are delivered as part of the normal curriculum structure throughout the normal school day, with all students being encouraged to undertake a three year VCE program, beginning in Year 10. Students within the Academy programs will also be expected to maintain academic performance and excellence, along with undertaking a range of nationally recognised qualifications including First Aid, CPR, sport specific coaching qualifications and other industry related experience where applicable. Students are also supported with personalised learning programs, designated Advocacy (mentor) support and feedback from their respective coaches.
Box Hill Senior Secondary College has a unique and wide range of school facilities that include a full industrial trades wing, including industry standard technology, electronics, building, food, metalwork and woodwork workshops and classrooms. This is supported by significant Arts, Performing Arts and Music facilities, along with tennis courts and sport gymnasium (including weight training) facilities that provide students with a terrific learning environment regardless of the school program that students undertake.